Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yummy Banana Bread

I seem to go through a lot of phases. For instance-- Music. About a week ago I started a dance music phase (I'm loving Justin Timberlake's Future Sex/Love Sounds album right now.) Before that I was tired of every genre of music and all I wanted to listen to was country music.

I also go through fruit phases. I have recently been into bananas. I love bananas when they're still green, but once the slightest bit of brown appears, I won't eat it. I bought a few bananas the other day, and after I did so, they suddenly didn't sound so appealing. Even though I won't eat them when they start to turn brown, I still let them sit in my fruit bowl and I tell myself, "I'll make banana bread with them!" I've said that countless times and never actually made it. Until tonight!!

My dear husband has to get up at 4:30 and is out the door by 4:45 for work. He's never been a big fan of breakfast, especially not so early in the morning, but I thought, "I bet if I have something ready for him to grab and scarf on his way out of the door, he'd be interested." So I made banana bread :) I like banana bread sometimes, but only if it's really moist. Turns out Martha Stewart had the secret ingredient to a delicious, moist banana bread. Enjoy!!

Ingredients
(Makes 1 loaf)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
Secret Ingredient!!
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.





No comments: